I recently had an issue back-up a virtual machine with EMC Avamar VMware Image Proxy 6.1.0-402. This happens after upgrading VMware to version 5.1. When the backup started we would see the following errors in in the Avamar backup job log:
- avvcbimage Error <12015>: Failed to connect to virtual disk [VMFS Datastore] Server Name.vmdk (13) (13) You do not have access rights to this file (Log #1)
- avvcbimage Error <9767>: VixDiskLib_Open([VMFS Datastore] Server Name.vmdk) returned (13) You do not have access rights to this file (Log #1)
- avtar FATAL <8604>: Fatal server connection problem, aborting initialization. Specify correct server address and login credentials. (Log #2)
- avtar FATAL <8941>: Failed to initiate connection with server due to earlier errors. Verify server address and login credentials. (Log #2)
- avvcbimage Error <9768>: Avtar exited with 'code 158: cannot establish connection with server (possible network or DNS failure)' (Log #1)
This problem exists since 2010 and should been resolved with VMware release vCenter 4.0 Update 2.0. But it's still there with version 5.1. There are two workaround/solutions for this issue.
Go and manually update the vmx configuration parameter 'disk.EnableUUID' to 'false'. This requires the VM to be powered off in order to update the .VMX file
The second workaround is to add the flag [avvcbimage]quiesce_fs=false to the dataset. This affects all VMs which are backed up using that dataset.
Start a manual backup or start the Group to see if it is working. Good luck!