RT @50mu: When formatting a disk in HyperV (a LUN from a Dell EMC Unity 450F (all flash), this takes hours. Does anyone know how to format…
vmware vsphere 5.5 General Available
As of today VMware vSphere 5.5 is available for public, after being announced at VMworld 2013 San Francisco. Be careful, an upgrade to this new version can have significant impact to your virtual infrastructure. For documentation go here.
What is new in vSphere 5.5
- Support for VMDK files of max. 62 TB filesize for VMFS5 and NFS
- 4 new features (click on the link for many details): AppHA, Reliable Memory, Flash Read Cache and Big Data Extensions
- Latency-sensitivity feature for applications like very high performance computing and stock trading apps
- Max. RAM per host 4 TB
- Virtual CPUs per host 4096 (was 2048)
- NUMA Nodes per host 16
- Logical CPUs per host 320
- PCI hotplug support for SSD
- VMFS heap size improvements
- 16 GB End to end Fibre channel. So 16 GB from host to switch and 16 GB from switch to SAN
- Support for 40 Gpbs NICs
- Enhanced IPv6 support
- Enhancements for CPU C-states. This reduces power consumption. More info here.
- Expanded vGPU support: In vSphere 5.1 VMware only supports NVIDIA GPU. In vSphere 5.5 support for AMD and Intel GPU’s is added. Three rendering modes are supported: automatic, hardware and software.
- The ability to vMotion a virtual machine between different GPU vendors is also supported. If hardware mode is enabled in the source host and GPU does not exist in the destination host, vMotion will fail and will not attempt a vMotion.
- added Microsoft Windows Server 2012 guest clustering support
- No change in the pricing of vSphere editions.
Besides vSphere 5.5. also available for download are:
- vSphere Data Protection 5.5.1
- Site Recovery Manager 5.5.0
- vCenter Orchestrator Appliance 5.5.0
- vCloud Networking and Security 5.5.0
- vCenter Operations Manager Foundation 5.7.2
- vSphere Big Data Extensions 1.0
- vSphere App HA 1.0.0
- vSphere Replication 5.5
- VMware vSphere CLI (vCLI)
- vSphere PowerCLI
- Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Ethernet Modules for vSphere 5.5.0